Julie Robertson was raised on farms throughout country NSW and now lives and works in Sydney.
Julie paints mostly in acrylics and generally uses a very simplistic figurative style, with the emotions evoked through her artwork as the focus. She is captivated by the simple beauty of the world around her and endeavours to have her paintings be a constant reminder of this.
Julie began painting when a seemingly insignificant packet of water colours were given to her as a gift. She discovered a love for painting and has been doing it with a passion ever since. She is a self trained artist immersing herself in study where ever possible whilst raising two daughters. She believes constant practice, experimentation, and failure are the best teachers.
Studying Interior Design in recent years has further fuelled Julie's love for colour, line and balance, something she seeks to explore through her paintings.
It has long been Julie's personal philosophy that art should create a place where a person can escape this chaotic world and experience something beautiful and inspiring - even if only for a moment.
Julie shares her world with her husband Brett, and two beautiful daughters Jordan and Millie, a constant inspiration.
"The job of art is to chase ugliness away." - Bono
Julie's achievements include:
- 2013 Co-wrote and illustrated the children's picture book 'Phineas Pig and the Mud Puddle'
- 2013 - 2004 Finalist in the annual Fishers Ghost Art Award, Campbelltown Arts Centre, for 10 consecutive years
- 2012 Winner Hurlstone Art Show
- 2012 Exhibiting in the 'Traffic, Bumpadabumpa, and the 40 Zone' Exhibition, Traffic Jam Galleries, Neutral Bay
- 2012-2011 Represented by Traffic Jam Galleries Neutral Bay, 19Karen Contemporary Artspace Gold Coast, the ARThouse Cafe and Restaurant Narellan and Cavalier Homes Macarthur
- 2011 Two successful solo exhibitions at the ARThouse, Narellen
- 2011 Group Exhibition - Campbelltown Arts Centre (all works sold)
- 2010 Group Exhibition - Campbelltown Arts Centre (all works sold)
- 2010 Group Exhibition - The eXchange Film and Art Festival - Sydney Entertainment Centre
- 2010 Group Exhibition - Compassion Australia's Blue Easel 'the Art of Survival' - The Sydney International Cultural Centre
- 2009 Group Exhibition - Campbelltown Arts Centre (all works sold)
- 2009 Group Exhibition - Camden Art Show
- 2009 Group Exhibition - the ARThouse Narellan (all works sold)
- 2009-2008 Two Solo Exhibitions - Be Free Women's Conference - silent auction raising funds for Mercy International aide work with HIV/AIDS orphans in Thailand
- 2008 Winner of the Labour Party Councillors Award, Fishers Ghost Art Award, Campbelltown Arts Centre
- 2007 Released a series of 16 greeting cards - currently in circulation
- 2007 Book cover illustration
- 2007 - 2011 Numerous private commissions
- 1989 Highly Commended - North West Fashion and Design Awards Tamworth